Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Weigh in day....

How did we get here? Basically, I wanted to kick off the new year trying to be healthier. I was inspired by www.snapitfatty.com to actually do something. I heard about scale back Alabama and my friend Jennifer and I started a team. She recruited her friend Laura and her boyfriend Kyle.

Today was our weigh in. I ate my normal unhealthy breakfast from Sonic. We walked to Nutrition Bldg at UAB. It was very cold and a few blocks.

I'm not posting my weight on here. However, I will say that the 12 pounds I lost last year, have remained off. Hooray! Damn, the pessimist in me is now thinking, crap, now I have ten harder pounds to lose.

A little history, in Dec 2001 I had a gastric bypass. I'm one of the failure stories. I lost about 80 pounds. I evened out about 50 pounds lighter. Now, as I get older, it creeped back up to as high as 15 pounds below pre-surgical weight. That was last April. That was a motivator to start to live a little healthier. I then lost 12 pounds by moving around more and trying to eat less lunches out. So far, slow but sure.

Now, my biggest motivator is my family history. We have diabetes and horrible feet. That's a crappy mix. My biggest fear is to become so sedentary or large, that I would lose my mobility. That is a very strong motivator.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to talk about what I forsee as my biggest challenges.

1. breakfast - I love Sonic. Sonic is on my way to work. Sonic people love me and give me extra bacon. I know them well and don't want to hurt their business. How sad is that?

2. snacking - I have some big work projects coming up between now and March 2. Normally, I munch away while working on them. I will need to do some substituting. I'm not going to like it.

3. consistent exercise - I'm a quitter. Jennifer and I are walking together but I hope she can help me stay motivated.

We are also doing the www.twohundredsitups.com thingy. It's crunches. Any fitness level. We considered the www.onehundredpushups.com but worried about our wrists.

Okay, signing off.
Mere

2 comments:

  1. Go us! Let's walk tomorrow if possible.
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You CAN do it! You need a Sonic substitute. I know it may not sound appetizing, but rye-crisp, an ugly flat cracker like multigrain thing you can buy in the supermarket with peanut butter....the natural kind...sounds terrible, but actually tastes pretty good. It is protein and multigrain, which is good for you. A dietitian once suggested it to me as it is low glycemic and good for you. Mary

    ReplyDelete